megalomania
animanga original fantasy
Practice of Sedition
In a world built upon a foundation of conflict, the past year has been notably violent. As Crux Fidelis, the Crusaders and ruling faction of Sium, suffer heavy losses from a particularly bloody Aphelion, other factions are emboldened to take action. Despite being allies, Weltschmerz's ambitious and duplicitous nature sees them taking bigger risks which threaten to break their alliance. All the while, Apocrypha continues to gain public sympathy and support while the Black Sun Cabal and Poena Damni continue to wreak havoc. As Sium races towards yet another conflict, it’s evident that a war lurks on the horizon.
rules premise factions wanted ads f.a.q. face claims directory notifications

Add Reply
New Poll

Bubbles the Bodyguard
Vash Parker
“Friendly Courier”
It's a tough world.
Vash Parker
Jan 15 2018, 06:23 PM
Unsorted
Viscount
Human
14 posts
currently Offline
played by Dantelion

What am I running towards?

@Soren Kincaid
Vash walked down the halls of Crux's headquarters. His steps as sure as ever since he's walked this route at least a hundred times. His satchel was full to be sure though. Several orders going out all over the country. The thing that bothered him the most though was the fact they assigned him to go with someone else.

Soren, he knew the name just not the person. It was an odd development to suddenly have someone to run with him. He couldn't help but wonder if his route was just that dangerous or if his partner was being punished. Both were rather likely in his mind since he doubted acting bodyguard to a courier was not a glorious job.

He paused outside headquarters his face moving side to side to see if anyone was waiting. Honestly, he needed no protection for the few he was to deliver within the town. He also didn't want to be rude and make him wait here for him to return. Something simply told him that this was going to be a long couple days.

His gaze rested on a dark haired man. Easily a head taller than the very short Vash. He cursed his short stature sometimes. His roommates often liked to put things he needed up high just to laugh at the fact he couldn't reach them. It was a running joke with most people really.

"Are you Soren," Vash asked walking up to the gentleman a bit sheepishly. He hated to be wrong cause it always would lead to apologies.

Soren Kincaid
“--”
All the things that went away were those I thought would last.
Soren Kincaid
Jan 20 2018, 12:44 AM
Poena Damni
Deadly Sin - Wrath
Demon
590 posts
currently Offline
played by Hiraeth

He was being punished. Although this had never been said outright, Soren was sure of it now. First the nonsense in Empyrean, and now this? Why did a courier need a bodyguard? In fact, since when did Crux Fidelis even have people who acted exclusively as mailmen? Couldn't any old hallowed deliver a package or two? Better yet, couldn't any old hallowed guard this courier? As a commander, he could surely be tasked with something more challenging. Maybe he deserved to be punished given his recent failures, but this was too much. It was counterproductive for him to be used this way -a complete waste of the Cross' time, in all honesty.

Arms crossed, Soren was leaning against a wall just outside the HQ's entrance, staring off into space and looking generally irate. He hated waiting like this. While the courier wasn't technically late, any disciplined person would have come early. Maybe he wasn't coming at all. That would be nice, then Soren could find something else to do.

It wasn't long before the commander sensed someone walking toward him in his peripheral. If he had to guess, he'd definitely say that was probably his mailman, but he refused to acknowledge their presence until they spoke the fuck up -which, unfortunately, they promptly did.

"Yes," he curtly responded, annoyed that he even had to ask who he was. How new was this guy that he didn't even know his superiors? There were only seven to remember, after all. "I assume we're leaving now, then? Lead the way," Soren muttered, standing up straight. He could feel all sorts of demeaning questions bubbling to the surface. He doubted this venture would be eventful enough to stop him from asking them.

@Dantelion
Vash Parker
“Friendly Courier”
It's a tough world.
Vash Parker
Jan 20 2018, 09:54 AM
Unsorted
Viscount
Human
14 posts
currently Offline
played by Dantelion

@Soren Kincaid
Yep, right guy wrong attitude. Vash immediately knew why they assigned them together. He was friendly and this guy standoffish. Which meant they would probably mix like oil and water and only end up ticking each other off. This was going to be 'fun.'

"There are a couple places here in town. They normally don't give me such a heavy load," Vash said as he started walking. "We'll probably make almost a complete circle to hit all the towns before returning. I'm estimating maybe a week if we keep a good pace." Most likely more though, he thought to himself. Such a large run meant a lot more risks. Mainly bandits or worried cultists if they got wind of his full parcel. Bandits usually had no need for mail but if they thought he carried anything valuable including his salary and allowance for this run they would take that in a heartbeat.

"For long trips like this it's best to jog not run or you'll run out of steam early," Vash said starting to pick up the pace. "Think you can handle it?" He teased slightly.

He always talked to the commander over deliveries so he knew where to go. He also had a map marked with a route and notes for the houses he didn't already know. It took him a couple deliveries to remember places but once he did he always figured out the shortest routes there.

He started jogging his way through the streets. His pace light but quick and it was easier to move around so many people because he was small. He did start cutting through alley's when they got closer to their first delivery. He stopped and walked up to the stone house on the corner, giving three sharp raps to its door.

His routine began with a hello, what he was there for and the handing over of the letter. Being friendly, polite and courteous even if it was more an act than anything was a must. These were people designated as important enough to receive letters from Crux after all. Finally, there was the dismissal since the reply would get back quicker if someone else picked them up.

"We may have to await some replies farther out," Vash said resettling his satchel making sure nothing was crushed. "So you'll be free to do whatever during that time."

Vash started walking before turning into a jog again ready to repeat this pattern a two more times till they headed out of town. Only three in town, it was a rarity indeed. Maybe they thought he needed some exercise as well as on top of punishing Soren. There was nothing like a long trip, it would be nice to see a big clear starry sky not raked with the outlines of buildings.

Soren Kincaid
“--”
Soren Kincaid
Jan 21 2018, 04:14 PM
Poena Damni
Deadly Sin - Wrath
Demon
590 posts
currently Offline
played by Hiraeth

Soren paled when Vash said they'd be delivering mail together for an entire week. He'd thought it would've been a couple days at the most! For a moment, he considered backing out. He'd just get a slap on the wrist if anything at all. Or perhaps they'd keep trying to send him on progressively worse assignments. It was something he could worry about later, right? Soren had all but decided he wasn't going to go along with this until Vash teased him, asking if he could handle it. It was almost as if he knew the commander was hesitating to follow him.

"Of course," he grumbled, quickening his pace. His problem with this mission was that it seemed too easy; of course he could handle it! Even as they left the HQ, Soren was actively regretting his decision to commit to the body guarding thing.

The commander's attitude failed to improve as Vash made his rounds and he followed, often getting cut off on the busier streets. He was tempted to start pushing people out of the way since they didn't seem to have any awareness of what went around them, but since they were still in Caersewiella, Soren begrudgingly forced himself to behave.

Soren wasn't happy to hear that they'd have to wait for replies even though it meant a break. He wanted to get this over with as soon as possible and that just meant it'd take longer. "Great," he sighed, not caring to give away whether that was sarcastic or not. It'd be better if he at least tried to reign himself in given he'd be spending many days with Vash. He was sure he'd crack sooner or later though.

Anyway, there was nothing he could do about it since they'd already started and leaving in the middle of it all would obviously be a bad move. Never losing the bitchy look on his face, Soren jogged to catch up with the courier, hoping the Caersewiella route would be over soon. Maybe once they left the city, something interesting would happen.

@Dantelion
Vash Parker
“Friendly Courier”
It's a tough world.
Vash Parker
Jan 21 2018, 07:12 PM
Unsorted
Viscount
Human
14 posts
currently Offline
played by Dantelion

@Soren Kincaid
Vash was quick to get to the next two houses. He knew both of them well. Though the one had a very grumpy butler who always seemed to glare at him. During that time he noticed Soren was as stone-faced as ever. The guy really wasn't liking this at all. He doubted anything he could say would improve it. He supposed he could distract him though as they traveled.

"Do you enjoy traveling any," Vash asked. He had to have been out of the city sometime. Most Crux members got missions anyway so it was a pretty safe bet. Vash himself enjoyed traveling, meeting new people and sometimes friendly wildlife like deer crossing the road. Though he had his share of bad wildlife experiences. Like being chased up a tree by a bear.

His pace remained the same as ever even as he spoke. It came with a lot of practice since one had to use their energy and breathing wisely to last longer. He may not be strong but he definitely had the endurance because of all the running he did.

"Personally I enjoy looking at the stars. They are really bright away from town and the crickets can be very relaxing," Vash said after a moment to listen to what he said if anything.

The gate out of the city started to come into sight and he slowed a bit turning and started walking backward. "Anything you need before we leave completely? I can just wait at the gate if so," he said coming to a stop before he tripped over something. That would be really bad luck if he did.

Soren Kincaid
“--”
Soren Kincaid
Jan 24 2018, 03:04 PM
Poena Damni
Deadly Sin - Wrath
Demon
590 posts
currently Offline
played by Hiraeth

Soren blinked in annoyance when he realized Vash was trying to fill the silence with small talk. How pointless. He was almost tempted to pretend he hadn't heard the hallowed but decided even a boring conversation might help to distract him for a few seconds at least. "It loses its appeal when you've been everywhere twenty times," he replied after a few seconds. Well, maybe Soren hadn't been everywhere, but almost. Anywhere of notable importance, really. He'd never be able to list it all off as much of his time was actually spent away from the HQ.

Soren let Vash's words hang in the air after that. He'd never cared about looking at the stars or crickets or anything and couldn't relate. Who even had time for that anymore? Instead, he tried to focus on his breathing, having realized he'd started to get tired a while ago. Meanwhile, the courier didn't seem phased in the slightest. Maybe he was just hiding it like Soren was.

"I'm good. Let's just go," Soren replied when they reached the gate. He definitely wasn't going to dawdle now that they were finally about to leave the city.

"Do you get attacked often?" he asked once they were on their way.

@Dantelion
Vash Parker
“Friendly Courier”
It's a tough world.
Vash Parker
Jan 24 2018, 04:19 PM
Unsorted
Viscount
Human
14 posts
currently Offline
played by Dantelion

@Soren Kincaid
Vash just smiled and turned around heading out of the gate. The road was decently thick with people considering there were several homesteads outside the city. It would thin out a lot in the next couple miles. Something he was looking forward to since it would get easier to run.

"Depends on what roads I take," Vash responded to his inquiry. "Larger groups are more prone to attack the busy main streets so couriers are pretty much small fry and useless to waste their time on. The smaller roads, well it is anyone's guess really. Sometimes a small group will rob weaker prey that uses them. It's a bit more chaotic since they aren't monitored or anything."

"I do prefer the smaller roads though. They connect more places and makes hitting all the towns easier rather than backtracking using the more main routes," Vash answered. The guy was already asking about the dangers of the job. Something told him it wasn't because he was curious though. Probably wanting to punch something though if he had to guess.

"I'm used to talking to myself since I'm usually alone," Vash said as he walked. "So if my half-assed comments on things get on your nerves let me know. I'll try to keep myself in line." He chuckled a bit.

"Also let me know if you get tired. I've learned to preserve my energy so I can walk or run for hours without having to stop," Vash said though he doubted the guy would complain. If anything he imagined him trying to match him step for step till Vash stopped himself. He simply had that countenance that said I am strong and I will take you down. It wouldn't surprise him if he had been a ruffian as a kid.

Just as he knew it would the crowd thinned and the homes became farther and farther apart as they got into farm country. The occasional whinny of a horse or moo of a cow came from the farms. The most noticeable sound was that of the birds which seemed to be pretty much everywhere. It was completely different from the sounds of the city.

The sky was cloudy but blue and the grass was green. Yep, it was a good day to be out and about even if he had a storm cloud behind him. All that was missing was something sweet to suck on or jerky to chew as he walked.

"Beautiful," He said in contentment.

Soren Kincaid
“--”
Soren Kincaid
Jan 31 2018, 05:44 PM
Poena Damni
Deadly Sin - Wrath
Demon
590 posts
currently Offline
played by Hiraeth

Soren hadn't expected to hear that couriers being attacked was a common occurrence -at least not those wearing a Crux Fidelis uniform. He supposed it made sense, in these times. People seemed to like rebelling just for the sake of being defiant. He couldn't say he was sorry to hear it, though. If they were attacked, it'd definitely make things more interesting. Well, maybe not; it was hard to believe powerful entities would stoop so low as to steal mail without even knowing whether they'd get something of value.

"I see," he responded simply after Vash had finished explaining. He'd only asked one question, so he didn't expect the conversation to continue after that. At first, he was annoyed that the courier felt the need to continuously fill the silence, but it surprised him that Vash was self-aware of his chattiness. He guessed he could humour him for now. "Don't worry about me. I can keep going as long as we need to," he responded, somewhat irked at the thought of the hallowed assuming he would get tired first. Soren likely didn't spend near as much time running around as Vash did, but he could always cheat using his bellicosa if it came to that. There was no way he'd be the first to stop moving. Plus, the farther they went each day, the faster this would be over with.

Soren relaxed a little when they were out in the country with less people around. Despite it all, he couldn't help but feel antsy, as if he was taking a day off while everyone else was out doing something important. Soren doubted anyone with ill-intent would come near them with him there. He'd been a commander long enough to make a name for himself, after all. Even if his very presence was acting as a deterrent, when nothing happened, he still felt like he was wasting time.

"Where's your next delivery," he prodded, glancing at Vash out of the corner of his eye.

@Dantelion
Vash Parker
“Friendly Courier”
It's a tough world.
Vash Parker
Feb 11 2018, 09:14 AM
Unsorted
Viscount
Human
14 posts
currently Offline
played by Dantelion

@Soren Kincaid
"A small town call Westshire," Vash answered smiling. "Would you like a look at the map? Despite how it looks I go over all my routes beforehand to get the fastest paths that will hit all of them."

He reached into his bag without really waiting for an answer. He offered the map to him. The route was highlighted with a blue path that zigged and zagged to hit close to a dozen towns and cities. A couple of the points seem to point at nothing even though Vash knew there were small hamlets in those areas not yet large enough to be warranted a place on the maps. They had started from the western gate and would return via the south gate.

"If we keep this pace for the rest of today then we can reach Darlington by nightfall. It is a nice sized place and the innkeeper's wife is so nice," Vash rambled. "She keeps saying I'm too skinny and need to eat more." He chuckled at the thought of her and her baking. "You know delivering letter's is more than just the act sometimes. You meet some great people along the way and build relationships with them. Having good relationships means a place to stay if you need it or the ability to trade for your needs."

"Maybe that's why they sent you with me," Vash chuckled. "Need a crash course on being friendly."

Soren Kincaid
“--”
Soren Kincaid
Feb 18 2018, 06:41 PM
Poena Damni
Deadly Sin - Wrath
Demon
590 posts
currently Offline
played by Hiraeth

Soren had heard of Westshire before, but he didn't remember whether he'd actually been there before or not. It didn't really matter. He was sure it looked just like everywhere else.

"Not--" Soren didn't really care to look at Vash's map, but before he could get the words out, the hallowed was digging it out of his bag and offering the paper to him. Irked, he took it without really knowing what he was looking at. Other than the indicated blue highlight that was obviously the path they were taking, he didn't know what many of the scribbles meant. "Well, as long as you understand it," Soren said under his breath before holding the map back out toward Vash. As long as the courier knew where they were going -which was a given- he didn't really care.

Soren had to admit, the road ahead of them (namely, dealing with overly friendly people, and having to be cordial with them) sounded dreadful. He never could get into the fake pleasantries and whatnot. No matter how he acted, his reputation would foil him, so he had no interest in pretending he wanted anything to do with others. It wasn't something he was willing to get into with Vash, though. He was just going to...try to go along with everything so that when it was over, he didn't have to hear about or remember it again.

"I don't expect this will be a common occurrence, so I'm just going to focus on being a 'bodyguard'," he responded, hopefully making it clear that he had no intention of partying it up with the innkeeper's wife or learning how to be friendly. The very thought of being placed in such an unfamiliar situation had him more on edge than the possibility of being attacked.

@Dantelion -- sorry this is so late!

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

resources & affiliates
RPG-Dface in the crowdShadowplay
TOGETHER WE FALL: A NON-CANON NARUTO RPDIVESTED - A Canon Shingeki no Kyojin RoleplayDigimon: Kids in America Rise of the Believers
World of Remnant - An AU RWBY RPYuri RoleplayDBS
DETHRONED GODS:RESTARSTRUKK - ANIMANGA ENTERTAINMENT CITY RPN:FBBreath of Liberty; A LoZ RPThe Duality of Man: an animanga role-play
 photo BasuraSengoku HorizonF/BCReluctant Heroes
Save Me
DBUAGE OF KINGSTop RP SitesAscendant
NoxHiraeth a Panfandom RPsurreality
Megalomania was created by the staff team with inspiration from various magic/fantasy series. The skin was coded by Hiraeth exclusively for Megalomania using Merc's push sidebar, Black's formatted code/quote blocks, and posiden5665's default avatar code. The banner was drawn by -2x2-. Icons/macros were provided by FontAwesome. All characters, concepts, and other written works belong to their respective posters. Plagiarism will not be tolerated.